Re: no sound on F11, F12 and now F13 but sound on Omega 12 live??? wtf??

On 07/05/2010 10:23 PM, Rick Sewill wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 09:26 PM, Dave Stevens wrote:
>> Quoting JD <jd1008@xxxxxxxxx>:
>
>>> Can you post output of lspci?
>>
>> sure, here:
>>
>> 00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a2)
>> 00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge (rev a3)
>> 00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a3)
>> 00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a1)
>> 00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a2)
>> 00:04.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev a1)
>> 00:05.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a3)
>> 00:05.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a3)
>> 00:05.2 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a3)
>> 00:06.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI bridge (rev a2)
>> 00:08.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a3)
>> 00:09.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a3)
>> 00:0a.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
>> 00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
>> 00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
>> 00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
>> 00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
>> 00:0f.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a3)
>> 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
>> [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
>> 00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
>> [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
>> 00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
>> [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
>> 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8
>> [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
>> 01:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: Ensoniq ES1370 [AudioPCI]
>> 05:00.0 PCI bridge: NEC Corporation uPD720400 PCI Express - PCI/PCI-X
>> Bridge (rev 07)
>> 05:00.1 PCI bridge: NEC Corporation uPD720400 PCI Express - PCI/PCI-X
>> Bridge (rev 07)
>> 08:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 4770 [RV740]
>> 08:00.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RV710/730
>>
>> and for what it's worth I'm curious why my video card shows up as an
>> audio device.
>>

> I don't know if it will be useful, but can you do, as root,
> lspci -vvv -s 8:00.1
> I assume there will be a kernel driver in use.
>
> Sound has always confused me.  Let me see if I can get this right this
> time.  Every time I try to explain sound, someone (correctly!) dings me.
>
> Pulse Audio provides a framework through which applications should do
> audio (microphone/speakers/etc).  Pulse Audio speaks to Alsa.
>
> Alsa speaks to the driver that actually drives the audio hardware.
> Then there is the driver, itself, which drives the hardware.
>
> Pulse Audio is supposed to provide a consistent interface to audio.

> [...]

I started looking on my Fedora box, and discovered another possibility.

There is an older sound system, called OSS, which, I believe, should no
longer be used.

I found, in /etc/modprobe.d, a file, /etc/modprobe.d/dist-oss.conf,
which has a comment,
"
# OSS Sound Support
# This has been disabled in F11 onwards because it can interfere with the
# PulseAudio sound service (a legacy OSS application can prevent PulseAudio
# applications from playing sound by preventing PulseAudio from (re-)opening
# the sound device). To re-enable support, uncomment the following line:
"

I am wondering if OSS is enabled on your system.

Please look for things related to OSS in
/etc/modprobe.conf (if it exists)
and /etc/modprobe.d
Please make sure the line in /etc/modprobe.d/dist-oss.conf is
commented out.

Please do, lsmod | grep snd
Please make sure there is nothing like snd-pcm-oss or snd-seq-oss
installed.

In my system, when I do lsmod | grep snd, I get:
rsewill@rsewill:/etc/modprobe.d <2:28> $ lsmod | grep snd
snd_hda_codec_realtek   284527  1
snd_hda_intel          24200  2
snd_hda_codec          73671  2 snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel
snd_hwdep               6222  1 snd_hda_codec
snd_seq                50941  0
snd_seq_device          5895  1 snd_seq
snd_pcm                76131  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer              19234  2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd                    60573  12
snd_hda_codec_realtek,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_hwdep,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm,snd_timer
soundcore               6198  1 snd
snd_page_alloc          7221  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

Please also look in /etc/modprobe.conf -or- any file in
/etc/modprobe.d/*.conf
for lines like
options snd cards_limit=8
alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
options snd-hda-intel index=0
alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=7
(above are lines I have in /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf)
I believe these lines are hardware dependent.
I'm not sure what lines to expect for a Sound Blaster card.
I'm not sure what created these lines in my /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf

I am curious about any and all lines that are like
alias snd-card-<some number> <driver associated with sound card>
options <driver associated with sound card> index=<some number>
in these files.  One set of those lines should be for the Sound Blaster.
I have not researched what <some number> should be in these entries.
I assume <some number> needs to be unique for each sound card.