Re: Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers

On Mon, 2010-07-05 at 21:24 +0300, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> So you are saying that it's not proven that people that do only one
> post can benefit the community?

No, I'm saying that it's not proven that EVERY person that does only one
post benefits the community. Not the same thing at all.

The sad reality is that the vast majority of people that would want to
do only one post are spammers. Requiring someone to be a subscriber is
done mostly to deter spam.

> Evidence? If there is such war there must be tons of it.

Read the archives of just about any mailing list that has been around
for longer than a month. Read the thread on this mailing list of which
this message is a part. The evidence is easy to find.

You may have the last word, I am done with this thread since it no
longer (if it ever did) has anything to do with the topic of this
mailing list.

--Greg