Re: Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 10:30 PM, Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>> On the sign up page for the list:
>>>
>>> near the bottom:
>>> users  list run by...
>>
>> That's only for the 'users' mailing list. I guess I would have to
>> the same for all the mailing lists and gather all the recipients =/
>
> No need for that.  All mailman lists on lists.fedoraproject.org (as
> well as most mailman lists in general) have a convenient alias to
> reach the list owners/admins.  It is $listname-owner@$domain.  In this
> case, it's users-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  In fact, that's where
> the link at the bottom of the listinfo page sends mail.

Right, but I wonder if I send a mail to all the *-owner lists. Maybe
the Reply-To would be munged and the threads will diverge.

I think it's much safer just to grep for all the admins and send a
mail directly.

> For reaching the site admins for a given mailman installation, you
> typically use mailman@$domain, e.g. mailman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> The sitewide address is given on the main mailman page, which is also
> linked in the footer of the listinfo page.

Ah, thanks.

>> At least Chris Tyler already replied on this thread, but sure, I'll
>> try to resend the mail to them.
>
> Prior to today the list was set to discard posts from non-members.
> This setting was made before any of the current list admins were
> present AFAIK.  I believe that sending a rejection is the more
> courteous setting, and we have changed this now.

Yes, that's better. Thanks.

> Setting it to hold for moderation all messages is not likely to
> happen.  Even with decent spam filtering, more than enough messages
> make it through that tending to the moderation queue becomes quite a
> laborious task.  I help tend to a number of Fedora lists and I do not
> wish to greatly increase the effort needed to do so efficiently.

Ok, I don't mean to offend, but what is there to do for a ml if not
moderate messages? Changing the settings? That's not really much work
at all IMO.

In any case, there has been only speculation about the amount of
moderation that would need to be done, right? In my experience it's
pretty easy to spot spam mail, so even without spam filtering I think
the job of moderating should not be that hard.

You could put me as moderator to give a try, there can't be much
damage to be done. In the worst case I would discard good mail as
spam, but that's what the system has been doing all along up to today.
If it really seems to be too much work, then the exercise can be
cancelled.

BTW. I'm noticing something wrong in the Reply-To header of this mail
(two times the ml)

--
Felipe Contreras