Re: Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 8:24 PM, Tom H <tomh0665@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 7:57 AM, Felipe Contreras
> <felipe.contreras@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Orthogonal to this is that the mailing lists should not mingle with
>> "Reply-To"; they should leave the To and Cc fields intact, so that the
>> MUA can reply to the right addresses. See:
>> http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>>
>> This way when a non-subscriber posts something, he doesn't have to add
>> the "Please CC me as I'm not in the mailing list"; it will happen
>> automatically.
>
> I couldn't disagree more.
>
> Posting to the list: If someone wants to benefit from a list, the
> least that he/she should do is subscribe. I delete systematically any
> email with "please cc me as I'm not subscribed to the list".

So you are saying that all the people that post to the mailing list
are doing so to benefit themselves, and not to help the community?

I also find those "please cc me as I'm not subscribed" annoying,
that's why I don't add them, I just post.

> Replying to the list: I want the lust to "mangle" the headers so that
> I can hit "reply" and have the email go the list and not to the person
> to whom I am replying.

When you hit "reply to all" the mail will be sent to the mailing list,
and the other person would receive the mail directly from you, and
will know that the mail was directed to him (as a marker in Gmail, or
mutt, etc.). Also it's nice to be able to search back mail:
'in:linux-kernel and to:felipe.contreras' and see actual results.

Is it so much to ask for you to hit "reply to all" instead of "reply"
(depending on the case), so that other people can have the benefits of
non-munged headers?

--
Felipe Contreras