Re: Bug in mailing lists; unfriendly to non-subscribers

On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Greg Woods <woods@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Clearly, these are religious issues. Whether a list should set replies
> to go to the list or to the original poster, whether postings from
> non-members should be accepted, etc. are debated ad nauseum. You can't
> come in here and state your opinions in these areas as though they were
> facts; they are not. They are opinions in an ongoing religious war.

Fact: the most difficult a process is to follow, the less people would follow it
Fact: a community benefits from all kinds of contribution, even from
one-post people
Fact: the current system doesn't welcome one-time posts
Fact: the current system doesn't allow cross-posting
Fact: the current system doesn't specify when the reply was meant for
the receiver
Fact: the current system doesn't allow to properly Cc people
(non-subscribers) to a thread

I wan't aware there's a religious war about this, I just thought that
whomever made the decision, didn't really had all the facts.

> In the end, much time and effort on mailing lists is wasted arguing
> these points instead of talking about the topic of the mailing list. And
> those of us here on the list can do nothing about it anyway. Only the
> list manager's opinion really counts, so if you want to make a serious
> argument about it, that's where it should be directed.

And who is that? Do I need to subscribe to yet another mailing list to
contact him?

--
Felipe Contreras