Re: Locking Network printer to 12.168.1.99

On Sat, Jul 3, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Frank Cox <theatre@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-07-03 at 14:19 -0400, Jim wrote:
>> How would I lock the IP address of my Network Printer, Device URI:
>> lpd://192.168.1.99/PASSTHRU   , so a Linksys WRT54GL router wouldn't
>> change it.
>
> Most routers have a setting somewhere under something like "Advance
> DHCP" or "DHCP Options" that will allow you to assign a fixed IP address
> to a particular mac address.
> --

Some routers do not support assignment of fixed (static) IP addresses.
Work around this limitation by setting a static IP address outside of
the range controlled via DHCP.

Here are the instructions lifted from the Samsung CLX-3170FN user guide:

• Static IP assignment: Use SetIP program to change the IP address
from your computer. If your machine has a control panel, you can also
change IP address using the machine's control panel.
In an office environment, we recommend that you contact a network
administrator to set this address for you.
IP setting using the control panel
1. Press Menu on the control panel until you see Network on the
bottom line of the display and press OK.
2. Press the left/right arrow until TCP/IP appears and press OK.
3. Press the left/right arrow until Static appears and press OK.
4. Press the left/right arrow until IP Address appears and press OK.
5. Enter a byte between 0 and 255 using the number keypad and press
the left/right arrow to move between bytes.
6. Repeat this to complete the address from the 1st byte to the 4th byte.
7. When you have finished, press OK.
8. Repeat steps 6 and 7 to configure the other TCP/IP parameters:
subnet mask and gateway address.