Re: Fedora 12/13 unexpected shut down Please help !!!

On Tue, 2010-06-29 at 15:48 +0530, Onkar Mahajan wrote:
> I am doing kernel compilation on fedora 13
> like this
>
> $ make -j2 bzImage modules
>
> Strangely, FC12 & FC13 running on AMD x86_64 machine
> happen to halts uncleanly (as if power goes off ) in the midst
> of compilation process.
>
> I have been using this machine for compilation for over 2 years on
> other distros such as debain, Suse, but such problem has never
> occured.
>
> Is anybody familiar of such thing happening  in FC12/13 distros.
>
> any configuration missing ??
>
> or bug ?
>
> Regards,
> Onkar
>
> PS :
>
> on i386 machine - FC13 performs normally. but FC12 exhibits
> this kind of problematic behavior.

I've got F12 and F13 with uptime measured in months.
I doubt that this is a distro issue.

Have you configured lm_sensors to monitor the CPU, memory and case
temperature? Have you checked the fans (both case and CPU) for dust?
Sound like your machine is either overheating or your power supply is
about to die.
P.S. It is a server? a desktop? Can you post your hardware
configuration?

- Gilboa