Re: T-bird pop mail files -

On 26/06/10 20:39, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 13:19 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
>
>> This probably is not the best or right solution for everyday use. I
>> don't question your advise. But really, once I get the F-13 computer
>> set up it becomes my primary e-mail box and there will be no further
>> need to transfer t-bird files between them.
>>
> Until the next update, or some big problem rears its head...

        Update? I assumed it is something I will have to do with a new
        Fedora release? Problems happen, all kinds. I just struggle with
        them. If I can't fix them I do without a function perhaps ...

>> I tried IMAP a few months ago, it worked but was not the right
>> choice for me. Number one, I could never get dovecot working to
>> store mail locally. That meant whenever I wanted to read an e-mail
>> it had to come from Wildblue via Gmail and I worry about it eating
>> up my allotted bandwidth, especially when one of my correspondents
>> would do a reply and include a large image file, a photo usually,
>> and that might repeat several times!
>>
> How were you expecting to get remote mail into the local system?

        Pop3 or IMAP, if it is stored locally I only have to transfer
        all those image bits one time. What happens is people do "reply
        to" without even thinking about removing the large image files
        and with a large group those might come to me several times and
        I agonize over the bandwidth it eats. I guess a "local" mail
        server won't solve that completely but if I read a message
        several time without the local server, each time I access it it
        probably gets sent from the gmail server burning up my b.w.?

> IMAP stores mail in some mail folder (the root filename is up to you,
> and I can't recall the default), but it's separate from wherever your
> mail client keeps its copies (if it does keep a cache).  And you'd
> configure your client to use that local mail service.  As I recall, this
> aspect of it is already set up to do its trick, by default.

        It probably was set up to do it by default, but don't
        underestimate my ability to screw things up. I couldn't get it
        to work, all my mail had to come off the gmail server. Perhaps
        starting with a fresh F-13 installation I may be able to get it
        to work. I will try again in the near future.

> Then, to bring external mail in, you can either use your mail client,
> configured for multiple mail servers (and drag and drop, or filter
> automatically, mail between servers).  Or, you could leave fetchmail
> running as a daemon, polling the remote servers periodically, and
> downloading mail to your local inbox.

        I have one computer I uses as a file server, it would be neat if
        I could store the IMAP mail there and read it from any computer
        on our home LAN.

> I do the latter.  I have a ~/.fetchmailrc file that has all my remote
> mail server details (addresses, logon info).  And my /etc/rc.local has a
> line in like this:
>
>    su tim -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 900"
>
> So that as soon as the server fires up, it's dragging in mail every 15
> minutes.
>
> Then, you could do something that I've not got around to doing, as well:
> Having a script sort your mail into folders, as it comes in, rather than
> have your mail client do it.

        Apparently there is a reason to do this, better in some way than
        the Thunderbird filters that I have been making good use of for
        some time?

        Thanks.

        Bob