Re: Sendmail: How does one blacklist annoying spammers?

On 06/27/2010 08:46 AM, Tim wrote:

> Where greylisting, typically, becomes a cropper is when some *BIG*
> service like Yahoo tries to mail you, gets grey listed, and it spits the
> dummy about not being able to post (some do get pernickity about it,
> with a low threshold for suspending posts that didn't immediately get
> through).
>
> Or, when it retries, the retry comes from a different server than the
> first attempt, so that gets greylisted.  And your message plays "hot
> potato" through several different servers, each one getting separately
> greylisted.  If you're lucky, eventually it comes back through one that
> your server will allow.  If you're not, it'll go through so many
> attempts that your server disallows it for taking too long, or their
> server aborts attempting because each attempt gets disallowed.

FWIW, in all of the installations if done these types of problems have
never surfaced.  I did specifically wonder about the second paragraph
and I analyzed several months of logs from 4 high volume sites looking
for an occurrence.  Never found one.  YMMV.

Do you know of any MTAs able to share outbound queues that would account
for this?

--
You can get *anywhere* in ten minutes if you drive fast enough. 葛斯克
愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段