Re: T-bird pop mail files -

On Sat, 2010-06-26 at 13:19 -0400, Bob Goodwin wrote:
> This probably is not the best or right solution for everyday use. I
> don't question your advise. But really, once I get the F-13 computer
> set up it becomes my primary e-mail box and there will be no further
> need to transfer t-bird files between them.

Until the next update, or some big problem rears its head...

> I tried IMAP a few months ago, it worked but was not the right
> choice for me. Number one, I could never get dovecot working to
> store mail locally. That meant whenever I wanted to read an e-mail
> it had to come from Wildblue via Gmail and I worry about it eating
> up my allotted bandwidth, especially when one of my correspondents
> would do a reply and include a large image file, a photo usually,
> and that might repeat several times!

How were you expecting to get remote mail into the local system?

IMAP stores mail in some mail folder (the root filename is up to you,
and I can't recall the default), but it's separate from wherever your
mail client keeps its copies (if it does keep a cache).  And you'd
configure your client to use that local mail service.  As I recall, this
aspect of it is already set up to do its trick, by default.

Then, to bring external mail in, you can either use your mail client,
configured for multiple mail servers (and drag and drop, or filter
automatically, mail between servers).  Or, you could leave fetchmail
running as a daemon, polling the remote servers periodically, and
downloading mail to your local inbox.

I do the latter.  I have a ~/.fetchmailrc file that has all my remote
mail server details (addresses, logon info).  And my /etc/rc.local has a
line in like this:

  su tim -c "/usr/bin/fetchmail -d 900"

So that as soon as the server fires up, it's dragging in mail every 15
minutes.

Then, you could do something that I've not got around to doing, as well:
Having a script sort your mail into folders, as it comes in, rather than
have your mail client do it.

--
[tim@localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686