Re: T-bird pop mail files -

On 26/06/10 12:46, Craig White wrote:

> ----
> probably a real bad idea for anything but a one time sync. I don't use
> pop3 but I gather that Thunderbird uses an mbox format which means that
> you will could easily replace a file and lose e-mails.
>
> The only real solution is to set up an IMAP server.
>
> Craig

    Craig and Gene:

    This probably is not the best or right solution for everyday use. I
    don't question your advise. But really, once I get the F-13 computer
    set up it becomes my primary e-mail box and there will be no further
    need to transfer t-bird files between them.

    And this has been interesting, I learn a little from every such
    episode and keep extensive notes. I should be able to do the same
    thing for the F-14 release without asking for help.

    I tried IMAP a few months ago, it worked but was not the right
    choice for me. Number one, I could never get dovecot working to
    store mail locally. That meant whenever I wanted to read an e-mail
    it had to come from Wildblue via Gmail and I worry about it eating
    up my allotted bandwidth, especially when one of my correspondents
    would do a reply and include a large image file, a photo usually,
    and that might repeat several times!

    I suppose I could try the IMAP/Dovecot combination again once I
    recover from the aggravation of the last attempt.

    In the mean time The F-13 box is almost ready to take over my
    primary needs here and it looks like I have all the old mail
    transferred with the help I've received.

    Thanks.

    Bob