Re: T-bird pop mail files -

On 06/26/2010 07:13 AM, Bob Goodwin wrote:
         [bobg@box9 ~]$ rsync -av  bobg@box6:/home/bobg/.thunderbird .

>     The message was lost. This does a fine job of making both sets of
>     mail files the same, effectively replacing the box9 files with the
>     box6 mail files which was what I wanted to do in the first place.
>     But now I would also like to keep the existing messages and add to
>     box9 any new messages that box6 has collected.

 (1) That suggestion was more of a 1 time startup rather than keeping
things in sync - for that you really need a different solution. +++

 (2) My suggestion for you is to never use mail client local storage -
ever - never never never - it will always lead to problems.

 What I do is the following:

   On your lan choose 1 machine to be your local mail server - run imap
(ie dovecot) - then put all your mail in there (via fetchmail, set
client to download pop mail to the imap server or whatever).

   Then dial your mail clients to read the email from your local imap
server. Now you are always 100% in sync.

   I do this - on my laptop if I choose to have some local storage - i
run a local imap server on the laptop.

   Not only am I always in sync - I can change email clients in a couple
of minutes and all my mail folders are exactly as I need them - no
converting or copying .. ever.

  gene