Re: Sendmail: How does one blacklist annoying spammers?

On Fri, 2010-06-25 at 14:46 -0700, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> I thought it was sufficient to look into the headers
> of the offending email spammmers and add these respective
> IP address and/or host names to the /etc/mail/access file,

Attempting to block the sender addresses will never work because they
can so easily be forged. Attempting to block IP addresses of spammers by
hand will not work either. Spammers these days use botnets, networks of
thousands of compromised boxes, so that their IP addresses change
rapidly. By the time you discover and enter one of their IP's, they've
already moved on to another one.

What you need is a DNS-based block list which is maintained by people
who are dedicated to keeping it up to date. This isn't perfect either
but the reaction is far faster than you can ever do yourself. I use the
Spamhaus XBL/SBL (www.spamhaus.org) for this both at work and at home;
it catches 10 times more spams than our SpamAssassin-based content
filters do.

--Greg