Re: multibooting linux

--- On Tue, 6/22/10, g <geleem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> <snip>
>

> > You don't need multiple swaps: Linux can share one
> without problems.
>
> and what happens if an active linux is put into
> suspend/sleep and system
> is rebooted?

Wouldn't the sleeping/hibernating system file have a unique designation?

> > A shared /boot partition is possible, too.
>
> possible, but not practical if grubs are for different
> distribs that are
> using different stages.

During the days of the 1024 cylinder limit a single /boot partition was SOP.  Never had any problems booting multiple Linux installs with different kernels, etc.

> also, when you chain, you have to select what you want from
> each grub prompt.
>
> > However, I would not share any others, and that
> includes /home.
>
> /home can be shared, if care is taken for login directory
> names and user id's.

True.  But, as you said, you'd have to be careful with the bookkeeping to keep everything straight.  K.I.S.S. is my motto.  Also, "You can't fix stupid!" ;-)

> > The best way to boot multiple Linuxes is to have grub
> of your primary
>
> too long to reply to all. see my post of 01:38 utc.
>
> > This is the way I have my box set up, which at the
> moment only has Fedora
> > 12 and 9 installed, but at one time, I had about 6
> Linux distros on it.
>
> i do not say that there is a lot wrong with what you are
> doing, but there
> are better ways.

There are "other" ways, yes, but whether they're "better" depends on user needs and system requirements.

Used to when testing a particular distro for consideration, I would install the entire distro on its / partition.  No /home or /boot, etc. partitions.  Then edit my default system's grub.conf to boot it directly. No chainloading. I might 4 or 5 distro tests done this way.  Not the "best" way, but it kept everything isolated and made it easy to get rid of completely when I wanted to.  Today, I use VMs.  Much easier.