Re: Unexplained temporary freezes in Thunderbird Fedora 13

  On 06/23/2010 05:43 PM, g wrote:
> <snip>
> if Konstantin Svist is running 3.1 without problems, i see no reason that
> you should not be able to.
>
> if you reinstall, install 32 bit so you can get enigmail back.
>
> as you are aware of, if you start in safe-mode, extensions are disabled.
>
> you did say that you tried watching what else was running, but nothing
> seemed to be occurring when you had freezes.
>
> if you have 'ntp' enabled, try turning it off to see if it's causing any
> problems.
>
> also, anything else that maybe hitting internet.

I'm currently running without any extensions on 64-bit 3.1-0.2.rc2.fc14.
Yesterday the bandwidth from work to home was constrained, but it is
back to normal today.  My CPU is a quad-core Opteron and should not be a
problem in that at the time of the freezes, I was running Firefox and 1
or 2 Gnome-terminals. I'm going to use this today to see if I have any
freezes. Running X over IP through an ssh tunnel has its own issues, so
it really is not a valid test. I did experience a freeze while typing
the word, 'test' in the last sentence, but as I stated, it is not a
valid test.

My plan over the next few days is to run 64-bit 3.1 from Rawhide with no
extensions with ntpd and possibly some other daemons disabled. Another
possible cause is that it may be trying an IMAP sync to GMAIL.  The two
tests here is to (1) change the timing, and (2) do offline and only
manually get mail. After reading some of the posts on the T-Bird list,
I'm leaning in this direction.
If things go well, then we'll re-enable some of these. I will install
the 32-bit 3.1 with no extensions and see if that is clean, then install
enigmail and a few other extensions after testing for a while.

The one common factor is that top shows Thunderbird using 100% CPU.

--
Jerry Feldman<gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix