Re: differrence between 'yum remove' and 'yum erase'

On Jun 24, 2010, at 6:33 AM, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-06-23 at 16:50 +0530, Krishna Chandra Prajapati wrote:
>> remove or erase
>>               Are  used  to remove the specified packages from the
>> system as well as removing any
>>               packages which depend on the package being removed.
>>
> But this relation is not reflexive.Just because program A is
> dependent
> on program B being present, it does not mean that there are not
> uses for
> B other than program A. meld is a good example that is very useful on
> its own. Why should yum remove it when A is removed.

Just in case anyone is still confused, that's not what the thread was
about.

Mikkel and Rahul have pointed out that the redundancy is for
backwards compatibility, but I find I'm not sure which is the legacy
command.

The man pages seem to focus more on remove, whereas yum --help does
not mention remove the remove alias at all. And there is not
"grouperase" corresponding to "groupremove"

If there is a bug here, would it be the inconsistency between the --
help option and the man pages, and the lack of deprecation notice for
the legacy command? (Or conversely, the explicit mention that the
alias is there for backwards- or cross-compatibility?)