Re: wifi access from laptop to starbucks wifi

On 06/22/2010 12:54 PM, Wolfgang S. Rupprecht was caught red-handed
while writing::
> Tim<ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  writes:
>
>> On Mon, 2010-06-21 at 11:31 -0700, JD wrote:
>>
>>> Also, WPA encryotion can be broken by a notebook PC in under 1 minute.
>>> WPA (and WPA2) encryption that uses TKP can also be broken in under 1
>>> minute. So far AES seems to be invulnerable (as far whatever has been
>>> printed publicly).
>>>
>> I'd heard that WEP was crap, years ago.  But I hadn't heard that WPA2
>> was that easily crackable, yet.
>>
> The problem is the "TKIP" part.  That is the old crappy WEP encryption
> system brought forward to infect the newer standards too.  With WPA2 you
> have the choice of TKIP or CCMP (AES).  It is best if one just turns off
> anything that allows WEP or TKIP in the access point options.
>
>       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CCMP
>
> -wolfgang

Right! That's why I said even if you choose WPA2
along with TKIP, you're toast!
Choose WPA2 with AES (aka CCMP), and you're safe
(until someone comes along and exposes to the world
that it is breakable).