Re: bad HD sectors

On 06/19/2010 08:43 PM, Peter Langfelder was caught red-handed while
writing::
> On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 7:57 PM, JD<jd1008@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
>

>> Is there a way to tell smart daemon to ignore the bad sector list
>> that comes from the manufacturer?
>> smartd keep reporting:
>> messages:Jun 19 16:16:39 localhost smartd[1378]: Device: /dev/sdb [SAT],
>> 128 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
>> messages:Jun 19 16:16:39 localhost smartd[1378]: Device: /dev/sdb [SAT],
>> 128 Offline uncorrectable sectors
>>
>> yet I am not seeing any apps reporting read/write errors to this drive.
>>
> Hmm... I'd be surprised if smart didn't ignore the manufacturer's list
> of bad sectors. FWIW, I just had a drive develop bad sectors and I
> replaced it as soon as possible. It started with 1 but quickly spread
> and some of my data became unreadable. Applications will not find the
> bad sectors unless they read some data that are actually stored in the
> bad sectors, and even then they may not complain. You could run one of
> the disk test utilities to see where the bad sectors are. Or buy an
> external drive and rsync your whole drive to the external. You will
> see error messages if some of the data is unreadable.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Peter

Well, I am not actively using the disk. Too risky.
I am trying to find out if there is reasonable doubt
as to what the smartd is reporting as if the are recent
errors.
At this point I will try to see if it is still
under warranty and have it serviced.