Re: Adobe (Temporarily?) Kills 64-Bit Flash For Linux

On Thursday, June 17, 2010 19:22:41 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Thursday 17 June 2010, Tim wrote:
> >On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 14:47 -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> >> An inferior format, VHS, image qualitywise, yes
> >
> >No.  Have you actually compared them, or just repeating gossip?  I have.
> >They were both as bad as each other, in general.  And when there was a
> >difference, the Beta machines I've seen were worse.
>
> And the ones I've seen (I am a retired broadcast engineer), the Betamax's
> made for the professional market, were far better than VHS in its wildest
> dreams if properly mechanically standardized so tape interchangeability was
> maintained.  That was a bit more difficult to maintain over time than some,
> so maintenance costs were maybe 10% higher.  Because the format was not the
> dominant format, sony wasn't so concerned with maintaining backwards
> compatibility, so the 'Beta' formats stds got tweaked several times with
> visible improvements each time.  The only time the vhs format was
> 'adjusted' was S-VHS, which was a decent improvement, but still had
> relatively poor noise levels.
>
> No hands down better format than beta was done until dvc-pro, which was a
> fully digital format.  And I'll include the type C, and even the almost
> archeological 2" quadruplex machines in that group.  An optimized Ampex
> VR-1200 could make some very good (NTSC/PAL) video.

How would you rate U-matic in comparison to all those?

I had some limited experience with beta (some incarnation of it), u-matic,
s-vhs and regular vhs. And from my POV, the order is exactly like that
quality-wise. But I was by no means an expert on all that, so I'm just
wondering about general opinion. :-)

Best, :-)
Marko