Re: Adobe (Temporarily?) Kills 64-Bit Flash For Linux

--- On Mon, 6/14/10, Tim <ignored_mailbox@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Mon, 2010-06-14 at 08:32 -0700,
> Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > By that time, if Adobe is true to form, HTML5 will be
> fully
> > implemented and out for two years, and there'll be no
> need Flash
> > anymore. ;-)  Praise the day!
>
> Wishful thinking, because all the pre-existing sites full
> of Flash will
> not be converted for you.

I've read because of the iPad and Apple's "No Flash" stance, that Flash using sites are developing non-flash alternatives for it.  I've read that this is happening quite rapidly with everyone in a panic because they don't want to loose the business.  Ah!  Don't you just love capitalism.

Besides, choice is good.

> Though I agree with the sentiment, it would be good to do
> without the
> unnecessary use of Flash.  However I don't see the
> replacement doing
> away with encumbered data formats, ogg theora got dropped
> as the
> multi-media format.  We're likely to have yet another
> encumbered format
> foisted upon everyone, as everyone knows that everyone uses
> Windows,
> with a few Mac users, all of which will get a licensed
> player...

There was a similar problem 35 years ago with consumer video recording and/or playback formats.  Ultimately, the consumer chose which format it preferred.  They will, again.  It just takes time.