Re: F13: How to enable NetworkManager system connection?

On Saturday 12 June 2010 04:05 PM, Sam Sharpe wrote:
> NetworkManager stores connection information in GConf, not in the
> files you referred to. They are irrelevant to a NetworkManager
> controlled connection.
>
> Here's a user connection:
>
> [sam@samlap ~ ]$ gconftool-2 -R /system/networking/connections/5/connection
>   timestamp = 1276383598
>   type = 802-11-wireless
>   id = Auto<deleted>
>   name = connection
>   uuid =<deleted>
>
> I don't have any system connections to show you, but they would be
> stored in the system gconf in/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.system/

I have two ethernet ports but only one of them is connected which is
"always on" and is available to all users in the system. I presume that
would be a system connection? I also use only NetworkManager, as you can
see below.

# chkconfig --list |grep -i network
NetworkManager 	0:off	1:off	2:on	3:on	4:on	5:on	6:off
network        	0:off	1:off	2:off	3:off	4:off	5:off	6:off

But still the directory you mention above is empty for me. Does it mean
this is relevant only for connections which require authentication?

Actually I had a similar problem as the OP. I couldn't connect until I
logged in and asked nm-applet to connect. And I couldn't edit the
connections as they were greyed out. I resolved my issue by editing the
files as I mentioned in my first post. Sorry if my questions are going
OT, just trying to understand how NetworkManager works. Thanks for the

Suvayu