Fedora 12/13 network printer oddness

I have an HP Photosmart C5580 connected to my desktop in the office I
have shared under both Fedora 12 & 13. The printer queue usually gets
detected by my wife's laptop after I poke the proper holes in both
firewalls.

I'm not sure what the problem is but it has happened under both F12 &
F13. At times her laptop randomly can't see the auto-discovered
printer queue. My computer stays on all the time (it's the BackupPC
server as well) and she shuts hers down every night (no hibernating).

This morning (although I have noticed this behavior before) I tried to
add the printer manually and opened up system-config-printer and tried
to add it as an IPP printer. I typed in the hostname of my desktop but
the "Verify" or whatever button would never enable.

I backed out and just chose the more generic option for finding a
network printer and typed in the host name and it worked on the first
try. On the verification step it showed it found it as an IPP printer.

So some questions:
Why does printer queue autodiscovery seem a bit flaky?
Is the fact I could not add the queue under the IPP option a bug in
system-config-printer?

Thanks,
Richard