Re: Extract file from tar home/

On 06/10/2010 09:20 AM, g wrote:
> Ed Greshko wrote:
>
>> On 06/09/2010 10:30 AM, g wrote:
>>
>>> what do you do if archive file gets broken?
>>>

>> In the past 10+ years that has not happened.  If it does, I'll let you
>> know what I did.  FWIW, I always compress my archive files.
>>
> may you continue to be blessed with such good fortune.
>
> post it on list. i promise not to laugh. :)

OK...  For the fun of it I dug up an old CD-RW disk that had a
compressed tar file on it with a photo archive.  If I recall correctly,
the disk was written on a Liteon drive that lasted less than 6 months in
my system of the time.  The CD was written in February of 2002 and was
stored in a box packed up in 2002 when I moved offices.  It hadn't see
the light of day until today.  Extracted the full archive without problem.

Of course this is only one file on one old CD-RW disk.  It doesn't prove
anything.  Just like...
> i used to compress archives. unfortunately, i did lose some one time.
> it was then that i decided that i would limit my archive sizes to
> smaller files.

...there is no evidence that you wouldn't have lost data even if the
archive size was smaller or uncompressed.

--
Everything is possible. Pass the word. -- Rita Mae Brown, "Six of One"
葛斯克 愛德華 / 台北市八德路四段