Re: FC13 won't start

On Tuesday, 08 June, 2010 @00:42 zulu, Yogesh scribed:

> I am sorry, I did not read correctly.
>
> I get a fail message for: *FnFx Daemon. Could not find
> /.../proc/toshiba/keys*

That's supposedly a Toshiba-specific service that maps the secondary
effects of the function keys when the Fn key is held down. It should
not prevent booting even if it's not finding its configuration files.

> And the booting process halts at: *Registering binary handler for
> Windows applications:*
> *
> *
> What might be going wrong?

That's WINE. That should not prevent booting either, but usually
that's about the last thing that loads before the x-server starts. It's
possible the graphics driver did not get updated correctly. If the
x-server tries to start and fails it usually makes the screen flash a
few times before it gives up. Does the screen blink just before it
looks like fedora's freezing up?

Do you know which graphics adapter it has in it?
If not, you should be able to find out by waiting until it looks
like it's halted, then press Ctrl+Alt+F2 (i.e. hold down all 3 at the
same time), then logon using the username and password you
configured when installing. If you enter a different name for the
'Full Name' when creating the user, that's the name displayed
in the logon window, but at the text-mode logon prompt you
need to enter the User Name (and password), not the Full Name.

Once you're logged in at the text mode prompt, run
$ lspci | grep VGA

And it should tell you the video adapter detected
.
(Note it's common convention to indicate user level privileges by
showing example command strings prefixed with the $ prompt;
root level access is usually indicated by the # prompt instead.)

Sorry for the delay. Had to mow lawn while the sun was shining.