Re: Desktop doesn't wake up from suspend

Hi,

>> Where is the definitive information on power management and fedora?
>
> Unfortunately no such thing exists as specific to Fedora.  Most
> power-management issues are very hardware specific and it is nearly
> impossible for any Linux to provide a perfect solution that works for
> everyone.

Yes, I agree to an extent, but my configuration is very typical. I
also had the same problem with an AMD XP2500+, which is why I upgraded
to the AMD 3800+ 64-bit system, and have the same problem. It has a
Matrox G400 card on it, which should also be well-supported by now.

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Graphics, Inc. MGA G400/G450 (rev 85)

> That being said, a great deal of PM related functions come from the
> pm-utils package.  Information here:
> http://pm-utils.freedesktop.org/wiki/

Thanks for the info. If you're so inclined, I appreciate it if you
would look at the output, although I don't think there is much there
to consider:

# pm-utils-bugreport-info.sh output
http://pastebin.com/fkq0qMTj

> To help you diagnose the problem you would be better off looking at your logs:
> /var/log/pm-suspend.log
> /var/log/messages

Does this help at all?

Jun  4 17:06:35 mysys kernel: powernow-k8: Found 1 AMD Athlon(tm) 64
Processor 3500+ processors (1 cpu cores) (version 2.20.00)
Jun  4 17:06:35 mysys kernel: ACPI Exception: AE_NOT_FOUND, Evaluating
_PSS (20091214/processor_perflib-321)
Jun  4 17:06:35 mysys kernel: [Firmware Bug]: powernow-k8: No PSB or
ACPI _PSS objects

Sounds like the kernel is handling the exception, but is the power
management able to?

# Here is the output from "Xorg -configure"
http://pastebin.com/Vm13tB9P

# /etc/X11/xorg.conf
http://pastebin.com/1mWpWf0J

It now correctly identifies my monitor, but when putting in place of
/etc/X11/xorg.conf it doesn't show that it's correctly identified it.
Is that the correct location for the file? Perhaps I need to select or
enable the display in the file?

Shouldn't there be a driver for "matrox" or "mga" in the list of
drivers that it supports? I don't see that in the list.

> run as root:
> # init 3
> # pm-suspend

How should power management be configured in the BIOS? S1? S3?

How do the settings in the BIOS correlate to how power management is
configured in software?

There are options in the BIOS for configuring sleep for the hard disk,
wake-up events, etc...

> Please read the man page for some help:
> # man pm-action

Already added is the following:

/usr/lib64/pm-utils/sleep.d/00auto-quirk hibernate hibernate: Adding
quirks from HAL: --quirk-dpms-on --quirk-dpms-suspend --quirk-vbe-post
--quirk-vbemode-restore --quirk-vbestate-restore --quirk-vga-mode-3

Thanks,
Alex