Re: FC13 install won't do post-install boot

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 11:00 AM, Doctor Who <whodoctor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 8:11 AM, Doctor Who <whodoctor@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi All-
>>
>> I have a desktop machine with 3 SATA drives.  I have a separate OS on
>> each drive and use the graphical boot manager GAG
>> (gag.sourceforge.net) to boot into each of the 3 OS's.  I had Fedora
>> 11 installed on the second drive (sdb).  Rather than try an update, I
>> did a clean install of FC13 from DVD in which I re-formatted my /
>> directory (sdb1) and left my separate /home partition unformatted.
>>
>> Due to using GAG, I specified that the boot loader should be installed
>> on sdb1 (rather than sdb).  This is how I've done it in the past and
>> done with the other distros I have installed on sda and sdc.  However,
>> once the install finishes, the media is ejected, and I'm asked to
>> reboot, choosing to boot from sdb1 via GAG produced a hang
>> (essentially a black screen with a single _ or - in the upper left
>> hand corner of the screen.
>>
>> I thought maybe I had to specify a dedicated /boot partition of at
>> least 512MB, so I performed the install again, this time specifying
>> sdb1 as /boot and sdb2 as / and to install the boot loader to sdb1
>> with sdb2 defaulting to the Fedora install.  Same result.
>>
>> The install media is verified as good.  I next grabbed the FC13 Live
>> CD and performed an 'Install to Hard Disk' from that again specifying
>> that the boot loader be installed to sdb1 (/boot).  This time, when
>> selecting to boot Fedora 13 after the initial installation reboot, the
>> screen is black and then the computer start the POST and reboots to
>> GAG (no hang like before, just an apparent failed boot and quickly
>> reboots the machine).  No error messages seen in either case.
>>
>> Any ideas on what may be going on here?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> To add...I just did an install of Mandriva 2009 on this same drive and
> installed the bootloader on sdb1.  Reboot after install was
> successful, so it doesn't appear to be hardware or GAG related.
>
> Any insight is appreciated.

Is there perhaps a BIOS setting that should be changed?  I think I
remember something from an earlier Fedora install where I had to
change something like that to get Fedora to boot properly that, for
some reason, did not affect other distros on these drives.

Thanks for any assistance.