Re: Regarding Get Fedora page

On Monday 31 May 2010, Máirín Duffy wrote:
>On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 08:22 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> It gets me to wondering how a completely new user would be greeted if
>> they were to see the original "new" Get Fedora web page and were to ask
>> "Where are the torrents?".  Would they be told..."You must Goggle to
>> find the torrents.", "You should have been active in the design of the
>> Get Fedora page."
>
>Would a completely new user ask "where are the torrents?"

Is that what you were tasked with, design it for new users only?  I would
suggest that those folks are, again just a SWAG, not more than 5% of the
folks who would click on the link to that page.  Even that level of growth
per release would be a good effort.  85% of us are what could be called old
hands, and some of even have the birthday count to qualify as a genuine old
fart, heck, I'm working on my 76th orbit around this star.

Point:  Some of us 'users' have been here since RedHat-5.0, and many even
longer than that.  Those that constitute 'fedora' only, which Red Hat 9.0
morphed into, probably constitute at least 70% of the 'users' today, but
that still covers quite a few years.  So the fact that you even asked the
question means that 95% of the fedora users were ignored.  That makes me
want to ask you why we weren't included in the overall design?  We all know
about torrents and we gladly trade some of our bandwidth to reduce the load
on your servers.

Bottom line is that one, 3 word hyperlink saying that "torrents are _here_",
would have prevented 99.9% of this ranting and raving.  To say repeatedly
that there wasn't room for it is baloney.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)