Re: Regarding Get Fedora page

2010/5/31 Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Would a completely new user ask "where are the torrents?"

Now that I'm caught up on this thread, and as one of the people who
was consulted during this redesign (note that I'm not a designer or
anything like that), I'll venture to say "no". First, let's take a
look at the long and hard work done by the Board to define who our
target audience is - someone who is:

(1) is voluntarily switching to Linux
(2) is familiar with computers, but is not necessarily a hacker or developer,
(3) is likely to collaborate in some fashion when something's wrong
with Fedora, and
(4) wants to use Fedora for general productivity, either using desktop
applications or a Web browser.

When viewed through this lens, I think that number 2 explicitly sets
out that we wouldn't want torrents on the default download page (there
are a good number of users who can't use them, for instance me when
I'm at work, and they're a bit more hackerish that I think that the
people on this list even would like to admit). It also states that we
shouldn't be designing for Grandma - there's a balance to be struck
between being too technical, and not technical enough. I think that
the current page, with the get-fedora-all addition, strikes this
balance quite nicely.

As a participant in some marathon mockup review sessions, I can say
that I really do appreciate the amount of work that goes into what
looks like a really simple webpage. Just anecdotally, I remember one
night several months ago when Mo and I were up til like 1AM reviewing
mockups, and I think we went through about 20 mockups that night.
There's a lot more work going on here than people realize, and I
really appreciate the talents and effort put forth - I know that I
wouldn't be able to come up with something so good!