Re: Importing an mbox into Imap

> On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 10:10 +0930, Tim wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2010-05-24 at 14:38 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>>
>>> Just import the mbox file into any IMAP client (Thunderbird,
>>> Evolution, Claws, whatever ...)
>>>
>> I've tried this with fairly large spool files, on Evolution (painfully
>> slow, and needs doing in chunks - select a month's mail, drag and drop
>> it between folders), and Thunderbird (eventually fails part way through,
>> even in chunks, with no clue as to how far along it got).  So I'd like
>> to find a good tool for doing this, too.
>>
> I took the liberty of asking our mail admin about this, since I know
> we've done it in the past. This is his answer:
>
>          I wrote a very Cyrus-specific Perl script (which runs on
>          the mailstore server) that parsed an mbox file, split it into
>          individual messages, and handed them to Cyrus for storage.  And
>          yes, it takes many hours (on a fast machine with fast disks) and
>          some babysitting.
>
>          If he's not using Cyrus, or doesn't have access to the server,
>          tough luck... :-/
>
> I'm sure he wouldn't mind sharing the script if you're interested, but
> it is specific to Cyrus.
>
> poc

Ok, just to be clear...  does it resubmit the messages via IMAP for
delivery?

Because if it does, it can't be *that* Cyrus-specific...  I mean yes, it
can embed flags into the message that are only specific to Cyrus would
take some rewriting, but I can do that...

So yes, please, share the code if you can.

If I come up with any Dovecot fixes for it, I'll send them back to you.

-Philip