Re: AdobeReader_sve providing libstdc++.so.6 - malicious?

On Thu, 27 May 2010 22:01:09 +0100
Jonathan Underwood wrote:

> It seems a little like Adobe is trying to install Reader via a
> backdoor dependency?

Nah, they just have the same problem everyone else has who
tries to provie a repo that will work on a gazillion different
linux distros. They can't know what libraries the distro
will actually have versus the ones they need, so they just
package the libs they need with the rpms. (I suspect
the problem could be solved differently with a lot more
work, but I'm grateful they provide a repo at all :-).

I've finally learned to download exactly the rpms I want
from adobe with yumdownloader, then do an install via
something like

yum --disablerepo=adobe-linux-i386 localinstall *.rpm

That way I get just acrobat and flash from the adobe repo
and the other libs I need come from fedora repos.

After the initial install, it seems safe to leave the
adobe repo enabled to get updates since I now have the
right version of all the dependencies.