Re: Seagate USB disk does not automount

On 05/27/2010 10:39 AM, jack craig wrote:

> On 05/27/2010 09:48 AM, Tom Diehl wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a new seagate external USB disk that does not mount when plugged in
>> to my F-12 machine. I can mount it by hand and access it normally.
>>
>> Does anyone have instructions for adding udev rules or whatever it takes
>> to get this to automount when plugged in?
>>
>> dmesg shows the following:
>> usb 1-3: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
>> usb 1-3: New USB device found, idVendor=0bc2, idProduct=3300
>> usb 1-3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
>> usb 1-3: Product: Desktop
>> usb 1-3: Manufacturer: Seagate
>> usb 1-3: SerialNumber: 2GHL7D7A
>> usb 1-3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>> ata6: SATA link down (SStatus 0 SControl 300)
>>
>> lsusb -v shows the following:
>>

> I know this sounds wacky, but trying putting a file system label on your
> seagate fs?
> I had this problem and doing a e2label made the automount work.
>
> YMMV, good luck, jackc...

e2label will only work if you put a Linux fs (ext2, ext3, ..) on the
drive.  Since most external drives already have NTFS on them you will
need to use something else to label the drive.  However, the automount
should work regardless of a label.

In the case of NTFS you may need to install the ntfs-3g package to get
automount to work.

Paolo