Re: does anyone tested ATI proprietary driver on FC13 ?

Hello Jatin,

On Thursday 27 May 2010 06:19 AM, Jatin K wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> does anyone successfully installed ATI Proprietary driver
> (ati-driver-installer-10-5-x86.x86_64.run package ) on FC13 ? I've
> installed fc13 on my dell laptop with ATI Radeon HD 5450 Series 1GB
> memory display card . I'm unable to enable desktop effects
>
> output of_* lspci | VGA*_
>
> VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Manhattan [Mobility
> Radeon HD 5000 Series]
>

> *_glxinfo | grep direct _*
>
> direct rendering: yes
>
> any idea ? how do I install ATI Proorietary driver on FC13 as the native
> driver is not working ( i think )

This is from Paul's email announcing the release of Fedora 13:

> * 3D support for ATI cards (R600 and R700) via Radeon driver. In
>   Fedora 13, 3D support for many ATI cards has moved out of
>   experimental status and is enabled by default. 2D support for the
>   latest generation (R800) is integrated as well in this
>   release. Thanks to Red Hat's Dave Airlie and many others for
>   involvement upstream and in Fedora.

It has been explained many times to you (myself included) about the
limitation with ATI proprietary drivers. It is _not_ compatible with the
Xorg version Fedora ships with. But they always work closely with Ubuntu
releases, and soon after a general more up-to-date driver version is
released.

Your options are to,
1. wait for the open drivers to catch up
2. wait for the proprietary drivers to catch up
3. use Fedora without compositing (its not as bad as it sounds)

Which is going to be sooner is anybody's guess. And as a suggestion, a
more appropriate place to ask your questions would be the RPMfusion
users list.

--
Suvayu