Re: Regarding Get Fedora page

On 5/26/2010 2:56 PM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 14:31 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 26 May 2010 13:47:10 -0400
>> Máirín Duffy wrote:
>>

>>> Would have been nice to hear your feedback last october:

Kind of reminds me of Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, when Arthur
Dent is admonished for not leaving feedback against the plans to
demolish his house, and the Earthlings are admonished for not leaving
feedback against the plans for demolishing their planet!

Seriously, it seems a lot of web site users found what they wanted
exactly as I did, using Google.  I'm sorry, but saying users savvy
enough to use Torrent, or whatever, are smart enough to use Google is a
cop out.  There seems to be a large number of users who are unhappy with
the download pages, so don't do it that way next time.  No biggie.

Some of you contribute mightily to the Fedora Project and to Linux, OSS
and/or free software, writing code, setting up web sites, beta testing
the release candidates, actively helping other users in the forums,
etc.  Some, like me, just download and install the latest release and
try to give constructive criticism when appropriate, and occasionally
contribute answers in the forums when I can.  I'm not likely to visit
the download page before the new product is actually released.  To all
you others, I greatly appreciate your efforts.  I don't think I'm being
egocentric in suggesting I'm the sort of user you should be trying to
hook in, not some idealized concept of a newbie.  I found the emphasis
on all the different "spins", frankly, confusing.  There are two
different alternative desktops (neither of which I am familiar with)
whose descriptions are nearly indistinguishable.  Which trim efficient
resource-sparing one do I want to try first?  Impossible to tell. If you
drill for more information there's nothing there, and you end up back
where you started.  I did try one desktop and was unimpressed (but,
then, it's running from a CD!)

In the past, Red Hat/Fedora offered Gnome up front and left it to more
experienced users to discover KDE, etc. (and made them easy to install,
if desired, and even switch among them). They supplied main download
sites, mirrors and, eventually torrent files and tried to encourage
people to use the latter, with the second preference being a nearby
mirror.  I think these were wise policies that should be continued.