Re: Regarding Get Fedora page

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 19:54 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Wed, 26 May 2010 14:57:55 -0700
> Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
> > I understand your concern and see the merit in keeping the default
> > get-fedora page simple, but I fail to see how that implies no page
> > linking to either of these pages. (or maybe I didn't look long enough)
>
> I like the default page too, but the default page has a link on
> it with the text "View full list of options for getting Fedora ...",
> that page http://fedoraproject.org/en/get-fedora-options isn't
> remotely close to a full list of options for getting fedora.

See, those aren't options for 'getting' Fedora, they are Fedora
options... see below...

> No possible train of logic involving mythical average users can
> justify leaving download options off of a page claiming to be
> all the download options.

The wording is a little confusing - we offer way too many options.

When you read 'download options', you think, 'methods of downloading.'
The way 'download options' was originally intended, however, was to
mean, 'different variations of Fedora' - options like Desktop,
Architecture, etc. Options for FEDORA, not how you were DOWNLOADING it.

Fair enough, part of the patch I put together for the site rewords the
text to say, "View more Fedora options" rather than "View full list of
options for getting Fedora." You can see the patch and a screenshot
here:

http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/websites/2010-May/008043.html

> And while this thread is talking about the response of average
> users to the download page, what about the average users who
> want to try fedora for the first time and are disgusted to
> discover that fedora apparently doesn't have any mirrors or
> torrent support.

I don't think those users are really in the majority to be quite honest:

http://mairin.wordpress.com/2009/08/27/getting-fedora-survey-results/

Less than 1/3 for sure...

>  After all the page claims to be "full list of
> options". Why would I go do searches for things not mentioned
> on the page that already claims to be everything?

I agree the wording is confusing, I hope the change mentioned above
helps address the issue.

~m