Re: Regarding Get Fedora page

On Wed, May 26, 2010 at 17:42, Alan Evans <ame.fedora@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
2010/5/26 Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 13:22 -0700, Alan Evans wrote:
>> 2010/5/26 Máirín Duffy <duffy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> > The links you referenced were removed quite explicitly in the design.
>> > The assumption was that if someone understands how to use bittorrent,
>> > jigdo, and mirror lists, they are more than capable of making use of a
>> > search engine to find them.
>>
>> I hope that this thread is a demonstration that folks who *could* use
>> a search engine may have been well-served by a page design that didn't
>> deliberately exclude them.
>
> How about the silent group of folks who looked at the old Fedora get
> page, had no clue what half of the jargon on the page went, and then
> browsed away to look at another distro or worse just stuck with Windows
> or OS X?

You seem to think that the only alternative to completely excluding
the more technical options is to scatter incomprehensible jargon all
over the page. I'm not sure how you came to this conclusion.

How about something like this at the bottom of the page?:

"Users looking for the Torrent downloads should go [link]here[/link].
If you don't know what a Torrent is then it's not what you want."

That would have at least kept me (and probably many others) from
scanning the page over and over again for ten minutes looking for what
I just knew must be there.

-Alan

First of all: I do appreciate all the effort in making the download page easier to newbies, and I recognize a lot of thought has been spent in doing so. However, it doesn't mean the result can't be improved, even if the improvements will only be perceived by a portion of the audience.

I agree with Alan that it wouldn't hurt to have this extra link at the bottom of the page, I don't think this would distract newbies considering they should be attracted to the big blue "Download Now!" button in the middle of the screen =) I must say I also spent a couple of minutes going back and forth trying to find a link to the torrents (... sure, I could have Googled right away -- which I ended up doing after visiting the "Formats" page for the 3rd time ;-))

Just my $0.02.

Regards,

Andre