Re: OT:smartphone

On 05/25/2010 12:18 PM, Linuxguy123 wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-05-25 at 21:40 +0300, Markku Kolkka wrote:
>
>> Linuxguy123 kirjoitti viestissään (lähetysaika tiistai, 25.
>> toukokuuta 2010):
>>
>>> I came to the same conclusion but haven't purchased the N900
>>> due to the lack of an update to Maemo 5 and Meego not shipping
>>> in any meaningful way yet.
>>>
>> Maemo 5 version 1.2 will be available tomorrow (May 26th). There
>> won't be any official upgrade to Meego on N900.
>> http://conversations.nokia.com/2010/05/25/nokia-n900-software-update-release-1-2/
>>
> That is exactly the reason I held off from buying one.  I'll wait for
> the N950 or whatever they call it, running Meego before I buy
> anything.
>
> Maemo is a dead platform.  It took them forever to release this update
> and I doubt there will be another one.
>
> I want something like Fedora for mobile devices.  I'm hoping thats
> Meego.

I'd say don't hold your breath!

I had high hopes for the moblin (meego now),
but i was dismayed to see the Intel effort spin & spin, then provide no
useful product!
what they did provide wasnt nearly good enough.

i was using a netbook (even more screen real estate than a smart phone)
{i had been using the Sidekick, from Danger, but wanted more useful
screen space},
and it was reduced to less than a 1/3 of total screen in useful space.

When moblin died, i bailed and have been using fc12 on my netbook since.

I am Much happier. My netbook, on a recent holiday, was the perfect
travel companion...
My only glitch was wifi reception in a B&B that was made of Really solid
wood( i had to work near the router).

A Real Nice place,  http://www.hilo-hawaii.com/

Intel has certainly fallen from grace in my book...

just my $.0002, jackc...

--
Jack Craig
Software Engineer