Re: OT: Cell phone connection to server

aragonx@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It has been suggested to me that we should setup a cell phone in a way
> that would allow us remote access to our Linux boxes in case of an
> emergency where the server was down (using a remote service board (ILO)).
>
> I've searched Google and found plenty of information on how to make an
> outbound connection, but nothing for inbound.  The mobile broadband
> connections all give you a dynamic IP and are on-demand.  So the
> connection would drop as soon as it was not being used.  I thought that I
> could write a script to keep the connection alive and pass the IP but if
> the server goes down...
>
> It was said that years ago, you could connect a modem to a cell phone and
> that it would answer the call just like on a land line.  If I could find
> something like that, we would be in business.
>
> As always, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Is there some reason not to use a land line? This is going to be your last
fallback, using a land line or IP connected service board would seem to be the
well known tech, unless there's a good reason for being a pioneer.

A netbook with mobile broadband would be plan B if you really have the need, it
has it's own UPS, can connect and start a VPN if it detects the server is down,
etc. For a long outage you might want a model which can wake on timer, has SSD,
and otherwise can be useful for days without power.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>