Re: Need an eth0:1 temporarily, howto?

Genes MailLists wrote:
>>> Routing, by default, for IP's on same subnet  uses the network on that
>>> subnet. So no need to change or add any route.
>> Well, at some point I have to move cables and then convince this cable modem
>> its a valid client, probably by cloning the right MAC address.  My web page
>> is not accessible using the current lashup with a BEFSR41 router.  Partly
>> because it doesn't have any DynDNS facilities in it.  dd-wrt does.
>>

>   FYI - depending on  your cable connection speed the BEFSR41 may not be
> able to keep up.
>
>    I've seen a BEFSX41 (it is quite a bit faster than the BEFSR) reduce
> the download speed by a good 5 Mb/s or more on a 30 x 5 Mb/s cable
> connection.
>
>     Meanwhile a linux firewall with over 40,000 rules caused zero
> degradation - on a 3.2 Ghz Pentium D box with 2 GB of memory.

It really doesn't matter how many rules are in the machine until you run out of
memory, but how many rules the packet has to traverse. I have my firewall on an
old WalMart "Centaur" 800MHz VIA processor, and it pops packets through at
10Mbit without delay or notable CPU load. But at one point I tried to move some
of the mail filtering to the firewall, and add blocking rules for individual
sites, and the linear rule traverse soon made new connections slow down. That
was with only about 1300 blocked sites. I changed the way I was doing things and
avoided the problem, but it is possible to bog a system down with a small number
of rules.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>