Re: F-12 lost audio -

>    This is not a major problem but an annoyance since sound usually
>    just works and I don't know how to troubleshoot it further.
>
>    Any suggestions appreciated.

I experienced something similar, although my audio stopped working
more than a month ago. And while I still don't understand all the
pieces involved, I was able to get mine going again by:

1 - running 'pavucontrol' (rpm package name is: pavucontrol-0.9.10-1.fc12.x86)
2 - selecting 'Configuration' tab, which showed 2 items:
  a - HD38x0 audio (HDMI audio from my Radeon 3870 card)
  b - Internal Audio (my motherboard audio, which is the one I wanted)
3 - disable the (2a) by selecting the 'Profile' value 'Off', leaving only (2b)

After that, I finally got my audio back in VLC, flash, and Amarok.