Re: how to 'rip apart' a rpm.

Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 15 May 2010, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> You really shouldn't be playing with source RPMs as root.  Look in your
>> user RPM sandbox:
>
> Then I'd suggest that doing so as a user be made possible.  I think its

It is possible, that's the way I do it. Simply create a file
in your home directory named .rpmmacros and set it to point to
where you want to do your rebuilds.

$ cd
$ cat .rpmmacros
# Path to top of the build area
%_topdir /home/jmccarty/devtools/RebuildRPM/build

I've not got experience building the initial RAM disc. The
kernels I've built haven't used that.

> asinine that I am prevented from building my kernels as a user, simply
> because mkinird cannot be made to run if you are not root.
>
>> 	/home/userid/rpmbuild  for your SOURCES and SPECS directories.
>>
>> You can build/rebuild/edit/create RPMs in there.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.