Re: New to Linux - BIOS before 2000?

On Thursday 20 May 2010 11:20:31 Mercury Rising wrote:
<[snip]>
> but it give me an error saying my BIOS was 1997 and I needed a a 2000 BIOS
> or better. ... The machine has a Pentium 3 ... a 1997 BIOS machine.

A BIOS may be upgraded if it is contained in a flashable EEPROM. Identify
exactly which motherboard your machine contains, then search for an updated
BIOS download, which may or may not be free. Usually the procedure involves
making a bootable diskette with the newer BIOS and a flash program, booting
your machine with the disk, running the flash program, then rebooting your
machine with the newer BIOS in place.  www.motherboards.org and
www.wimsbios.com may have information useful to complete your project.

Ken