Re: Burning DVD Videos

On Thu, 2010-05-20 at 13:05 -0400, Thom Paine wrote:
> Mythtv has this functionality built in. You can dump your avi's in
> your videos folder, then select them with the menus and get the
> computer to work out the compression to fit all 10 on a DL-DVD. It
> will even make the menus and stuff automagically.
>
> If you have an extra pc lying around, you could whip this together
> pretty quick. Just ignore the tuner information while getting things
> set up and the remote, and just use the keyboard.
>
> You could try Mythdora or Mythbuntu if you want one pretty well
> packaged and ready to roll with minimum effort.

[Please don't top-post. See the list Guidelines]

I've been toying with getting a "media player", e.g. the Western Digital
WD Live, which allows you to store all your videos on an external USB
drive (which you supply separately) and converts them on the fly to a HD
TV signal. It's only $100-150 on Amazon and the Live model also has
Wifi. I'm sure MythTV on a spare box can do all this as well, there's
something to be said for special-purpose boxes in this sort of
situation. I'm open to persuasion however.

poc