Re: Disc failure on a software RAID system has killed everything

I've managed to boot up using systemrescuecd and I've managed to get the RAID1
boot (/dev/md0) partition to mount.

I've also looked at the RAID5 swap partition that I had forgotten about and
that looks fine.

The problem is with the main RAID5 device /dev/md2 which should consist of 5
partitions over 5 drives, one of which is dead and disconnected.  However,
when I try to use this device it will not mount, and when I look at it, it
says that only 2 of the 5 devices are available.  How do I get it back to
using all 4 partitions?

root@sysresccd /root % mdadm --detail /dev/md2
/dev/md2:
        Version : 0.90
  Creation Time : Fri Aug 29 12:29:18 2008
     Raid Level : raid5
  Used Dev Size : 483492096 (461.09 GiB 495.10 GB)
   Raid Devices : 5
  Total Devices : 2
Preferred Minor : 2
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

    Update Time : Thu May 13 20:27:51 2010
          State : active, degraded, Not Started
 Active Devices : 2
Working Devices : 2
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0

         Layout : left-symmetric
     Chunk Size : 256K

           UUID : 549f851d:f698831d:8e1f38fa:6d8d3a6f
         Events : 0.553056

    Number   Major   Minor   RaidDevice State
       0       0        0        0      removed
       1       0        0        1      removed
       2       0        0        2      removed
       3       8       34        3      active sync   /dev/sdc2
       4       8       50        4      active sync   /dev/sdd2
root@sysresccd /root %

--
Gary Stainburn