Re: Disc failure on a software RAID system has killed everything

On 05/19/2010 12:28 PM, Gary Stainburn wrote:
> Sorry Bryn, I mean RAID1.
>
> I thought that with RAID1, if I disconnected the dead one it should either
> just work, or i should be able to access both that and the RAID5 setup from
> the bood DVD.

Ah, that makes a lot more sense then!

It's true that MD RAID1 setups in many cases can be made to boot
reliably with a failed drive (there can be problems with getting the
BIOS on some systems to reliably boot the surviving disk or to correctly
ignore the dead one but this tends to work better on most machines now
than it did a few years ago).

By the sound of it you're not hitting this kind of problem here though
since you are getting the bootloader and kernel to load.

> However, as I said, it won't boot and the rescue DVD doesn't see the Linux
> partitions, presumably because it can't/won't use the RAID devices

You can check to see that the arrays are seen in the rescue environment
by running:

# mdadm --detail --scan

This will scan storage devices for MD labels and list out all the arrays
found and their UUIDs, e.g.:

# mdadm --detail --scan
ARRAY /dev/md0 metadata=0.90 UUID=eb08491d:20a2b1a6:4d0f9285:bfb3869d
ARRAY /dev/md1 metadata=0.90 UUID=3bfd52c0:323e8987:28551b16:3c510952
ARRAY /dev/md2 metadata=0.90 UUID=c4217b57:2102c749:15b01350:1139f0fa

You can then assemble and start the arrays with the -A/--assemble option
to mdadm and piece together the system from there.

It would be useful to know more about the kernel panic that you're
seeing when booting the system with the degraded array - that might
provide some hints as to what's up. If you don't have a serial console
or other means to capture the text verbatim then copying off the last
few lines by hand and posting them here might give some hints.

Regards,
Bryn.