Re: Preupgrade??

On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 3:01 AM, Kevin J. Cummings <cummings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 05/01/2010 01:08 AM, Marcel Rieux wrote:

You can always choose to not use LVM when you install Fedora, but you
have to be comfortable with selecting the advanced disk partitioning and
using the tools provided.  Not everyone is.

I have selected my disk partitioning for a long time and  when new wizardry comes along, I always wonder how much help it's going to be. In most cases, for a desktop, here, I'd say "none".

> I believe there should be a page on FedoraProject to explain how to get
> rid of that ext3 /boot partition. Of course, for most people, I suppose
> it won't be much of an issue for most users but, when a 500 MB boot
> partition is now suggested for /boot -- which 25 times my first HD! --,
> it certainly doesn't look very clean.

Knowledge of this sort is a dangerous weapon.  It is known by those who
understand it and are willing to possibly shoot themselves in the foot
because they know what they are doing.  When you get to that stage, you
will understand.

There are some solutions here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_use_PreUpgrade#Not_enough_space_in_.2Fboot

but you think they're unsafe?