Re: Best Laptop Experience with Fedora

On Mon, Apr 26, 2010 at 9:00 AM, Edmon Begoli <ebegoli@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I am thinking of buying a Laptop to run Fedora 12/13/ ... on it.

I am member of the Fedora project and I want to have a laptop only for
development and testing of the code, packages and new releases on it.

So far I had mixed luck with wireless cards/drivers and video cards,
so I want to
ask community of Fedora users:

what Laptop in below $600 or $700 would they recommend as the machine
with the best Fedora experience.

I am also looking for the easy hard drive swap in and out solution,
so that I can swap complete distros by swapping hard drives
(I have dual boots and USB but I find hard drive swapping more
convenient for what I am doing. I can explain my motivation in more
details if needed)

Your only stated requirements are price, the ability to do development,
and the ability to swap disks.  Given those requirements, I'd get a
refurbished Dell laptop from Dell at:
  http://www.dfsdirectsales.com
You can get a laptop with no operating system.  Disk removal/replacement is
fairly easy on the Dell D-series laptops, just a screw or two.  You'll probably
want to buy a second carrier.  Or, I guess you could boot from USB dirves.

I got my current Dell D630 that way, on which I've installed F12.  The wireless,
as well as everything lese, works well.

This is just one suggestion.  Just about any laptop would work.  Just make
sure that the NetworkManager can handle the wireless card and that disk
removal is easy.

--
Dale Dellutri