Re: [OT] Deafening silence (Evolution comments)

On Wed, 2010-04-21 at 12:22 -0700, Wayne Feick wrote:
> I've finally given up on Evolution and moved back to Thunderbird.
>
> I really wanted Evolution to be a good mail and calendar client, but for
> the last 5 years or so it's always been *almost* there. It was
> calendaring and Palm sync that kept me on it for a long time, and the
> promise that proper Exchange connectivity was coming.
>
> Using an LDAP server consistently causes lockups. The whole UI freezes
> up for extended periods of time. God knows what they're doing, but
> apparently they never learned to separate blocking operations like
> network communication from the UI thread. It often ends up occupying
> 2.5G of resident memory which I can only assume is a memory leak since
> it grows over time.
>
> I've reported bugs over the years, and they seem to fall on deaf ears.
> When they do manage to fix something, invariably something else breaks.
>
> Now that I've moved to a Droid, I've switched over to Google's calendar
> and I'm not looking back.
>
> Wayne.

I've been using Evolution as my only email client since 2002.

I agree that it has a number of shortcomings.

Its been an up and down road for sure but one thing that I can say is
that I have not lost a single email in the 8 years I have been using
it.

I think this relates to the fact that Evo using plain text files to
store emails.  Prior to Evo, Outlook used to lose my emails and crash on
a regular basis.

I really wish that someone would inject some life into Evo.  I've been
looking at a gray Evo screen for 8 years.  How about a little color ?