Re: Virtualization

On Monday 19 April 2010 15:57:48 Jerry Feldman wrote:
> On 04/08/2010 10:03 AM, Javier Perez wrote:
> > I started to virtualized but found out my CPU did not have vmx (E5200 :(
> > ) It will be awhile until I replace the CPU to something with vmx, and
> > start to practice it,
> > but I am studying this asiduously to implement it.
>
> Ok. Virtualbox, VMWare, and QEMU (without KVM)  will run fine on a
> non-virtualized CPU.

This depends on how you define "run fine". Virtualbox and VMWare have kernel
modules (that is, if you can compile the VMWare ones for the latest kernels)
that will enable decent performance on non-virtualized CPU. QEMU doesn't have
it, and will typically be extremely slow.

> Additionally, not only do you need a CPU with the
> virtualization assist but you also need support for it in the BIOS. All
> AMD 64-bit CPU chips and most (but not all) Intel chips have the
> virtualization assistance.

For Intel this is a hit-or-miss thing, there was an earlier thread where I
ranted about it quite a lot.

Best, :-)
Marko