Re: Clamav

From: "Sam Sharpe" <lists.redhat@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, 2010/April/17 02:25

> On 17 April 2010 10:17, jdow <jdow@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> <<jdow
>> How many people get frustrated with SELinux and simply disable it?
>
> I don't know, but stupidity appears to be an infinite resource. I tend
> to believe that if you disable SELinux and you get exploited by
> something that SELinux would prevent, then the only thing at fault is
> *you*.
>
> However in this case, both a sysctl and SELinux prevent what this
> attack claims to do, so if you disable SELinux it still won't work.

Are you sanguine to declare Linux cannot be taken over by malware
given that the most recent rather dramatic hole found is less than a
year old AND new features (hence bugs) are being introduced every
day? How much is the data on the machine worth to you?

If it means a lot, a good backup policy and running an anti-malware
program even if it's only chkrootkit or rkhunter before taking any
backups is a "good thing" (tm).

If it means nothing, then why not run Windows wide open and make yourself
a hero to the botnet operators? {^_-}

{^_^}