Re: Best way to install Debian (.deb) packages?

Le samedi 17 avril 2010 à 10:57 -0400, Mark C. Allman a écrit :
> I've dug around and found a few threads and tools, e.g., alien (converts
> to .rpms).  The Palm Pre SDK packages are all .deb files.  Any
> suggestions on the best/easiest way to convert or install these on a
> Fedora 12 system?
>
> -- Mark C. Allman, PMP, CSM
> -- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
> -- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263
> -- Twitter: allmanpc

Hi,

if the SDK is really only available as .deb files, you can anyway
install them without alien (since it is not yet available in Fedora):
for each .deb file you have:
   ar vx /path/to/your/file.deb data.tar.gz
   tar xzf data.tar.gz -C /
   rm data.tar.gz

Anyway there is absolutely no guarantee that the binaries provided by
these .deb are compatible with Fedora: missing libraries or versions not
provided by Fedora can be expected. You can parse the installed binaries
with ldd to check it... There is also chances that these binairies are
32-bit only by the way (even if it is not a problem under x86_64, in
this last case install 32-bit dependencies with yum : yum install
package.i686).